Hello, hello! Manuel has been away from home the past couple of weeks. This has resulted in me holding off on completely restocking the fridge. An account I follow recently posted a photo of them eating a chickpea “mock tuna sandwich.” This inspired me to use whatever I happened to already have at home to take a crack at my own version of it. & Let me tell you, I was SOOOO impressed with the results that I’ve already eaten it three times this week.
This is super simple, affordable, & there’s even a good chance you already have most of the ingredients on deck! So, try it out & let me know how ya like it!
Time: Less than 10 min
Great source of protein
- 1 can or 15.5 oz chickpeas*
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (I used Follow Your Heart’s Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise)
- 3 tablespoons mustard (I used Trader Joe’s Deli Style Spicy Brown Mustard – but use what you have, for now, that’s the point!)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- OR 1 finely chopped shallot*
- 3-4 chopped snack-sized seaweed sheets*
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ground black pepper for topping
*Chickpeas & garbanzo beans are the same thing. The more ya know!
*I’ve tried both & personally preferred the shallot.
*You can add more seaweed if you want it to taste a bit “fishier.”
I imagine this tasting bomb with some added scallions & freshly squeezed lemon juice… YUM.
- Drain & rinse the chickpeas.
- In a bowl or storage container, mash the chickpeas with a fork until you get them to the consistency of your preference.
- Add the rice vinegar, vegan mayo, mustard, onion/shallot, seaweed, and garlic powder. Mix until combined.
- Top with some ground pepper to taste & you’re done! Do with it as you please. Use it as a spread, filling, or dip!
- Store whatever remains in the fridge. If you mixed it in a storage container like I did, all you have to do is put the lid on. Fewer dishes, woo!
I personally spread it on some lightly toasted sourdough bread & it was DEEEE-LICIOUS.
I welcome you to try this out! If you do, please let me know! I’d love to hear about it.
& I leave you with…
Fish are friends, not food.
SAVE. OUR. OCEANS.
follow me on Instagram @sentientjewel